3 hrs 20 mins
This takes a long time, but it is worth the work. If you decide to use canned broth, cut the salt in the dumplings. (I'm guesstimating on the prep/cook time.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Chicken and Broth
- 3 quarts water
- 3 -4 lbs cut up chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 small sliced onion
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 -6 whole fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1Boil 3 quarts water in a large pot.
- 2Add chicken, 1 t salt, onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and parsley and simmer for 2 hours.
- 3The liquid will reduce by 1/3.
- 4When chicken is cooked, remove it and set aside.
- 5Strain stock and throw away everything but the stock.
- 6Put 6 cups of the stock back into the pot. (Leftover stock can be frozen.)
- 7Add the pepper, 1/2 t salt and lemon juice and reheat while you mix dumplings.
- 8For dumplings, mix flour, baking powder, 1-1/4 t salt and milk in a medium bowl.
- 9Stir until smooth, then let dough rest for 5-10 minutes.
- 10Roll dough onto a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thickness. (Handle the dough as little as possible for good dumplings).
- 11Cut the dough into 1/2 inch squares (I use a pizza cutter) and drop each square into the simmering stock.
- 12Use all of the dough.
- 13The dumplings will first swell and then slowly shrink as they partially dissolve to thicken the stock into a white gravy.
- 14Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until thick.
- 15Stir often.
- 16While the stock is thickening, the chicken will have cooled.
- 17Tear all the meat from the bones and remove the skin.
- 18Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and drop them into the pot.
- 19Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, but stir carefully so you don't break the chicken up.
- 20When the gravy has reached the desired consistency, ladle four portions onto plates and serve hot.
- 21(Very good over mashed potatoes.).
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cracker Barrel Chicken & Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (1232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1018.2
- Calories from Fat 489
- Total Fat 54.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 264.7 mg
- Sodium 2182.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 72.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh parsley leaves