Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is a wonderful dish! I haven't had the good fortune to have tried the original recipe at Cracker Barrel, but it it's anything like this, it's a winner for sure! Creamy chicken filling with a wonderful cornmeal crust that turns a golden color! It's a keeper for sure!
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups cooked chicken breasts (cut into bite- size pieces)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (thin chopped)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 3⁄4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mix cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, baking soda, vegetable oil, buttermilk and egg together in mixing bowl until smooth.
- Pour into greased 8" x 8" baking pan and bake at 375°F for 20 - 25 minutes until done. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- When cool, crumble corn bread and place 3 cups of corn bread crumbs in mixing bowl. Add 1/2 cup melted butter to crumbs and mix well, set aside.
- In sauce pan on medium low heat place butter and saute onions and celery until transparent, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, salt, and pepper.
- Stir until well blended and soup is dissolved completely. Add chicken, stir and blend until mixture reaches a low simmer. Cook for 5 minutes,
- Remove from heat. Place chicken mixture in buttered casserole dish (2 1/2 qt.), or individual casserole dishes (about four).
- Spoon cornbread crumb topping on top of chicken mixture (do not stir in chicken filling) and place baking dish in preheated oven at 350°F for 35 - 40 minutes. The crumbs will turn a golden yellow.