Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here's a copycat version of the Cracker Barrel's delicious dessert, Baked Apple Dumplin'! Mmm! :D
- 1 (17 1/2 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3⁄8 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and halved
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2⁄3 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 2⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Roll out each sheet of pastry to measure 12x12 inches. Cut into quarters, to make 8 - 6 inch squares.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, bread crumbs, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Brush a pastry square with beaten egg.
- Place 1 tablespoon bread crumb mixture in center.
- Place one apple half, core side down, over bread crumbs.
- Top with another tablespoon of mixture.
- Pull up four corners of pastry and pinch sides together to seal seams completely. Repeat with remaining apples.
- Brush each dumpling with beaten egg.
- Top with Pecan Streusel.
- Place in preheated oven for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350°F (175°C) and continue baking 25 minutes more, until lightly browned.
- Drizzle with icing.
- Let cool completely at room temperature.
- PECAN STREUSEL: In a small bowl, combine 2/3 cup chopped toasted pecans, 2/3 cup packed brown sugar, 2/3 cup all-purpose flour and 5 tablespoons melted butter. Mix with a fork until mixture resembles moist crumbs. Use as directed in recipe. Make more or less as desired.
- To make icing, combine confectioners' sugar and vanilla and enough milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cooled dumplings. Serve the same day.
Tried this today- It was amazing! I substituted a caramel sauce for the icing to give it more of a similar taste to what Cracker Barrel offers. Add a scoop of vanilla bean icecream.. I honestly can't tell a difference. It's pretty spot on. Delicious!
this ia a really good dessert. please have it every time you go to Cracker Barrel.
I just love the Cracker Barrel Baked Apple Dumplin' (every time that I go there I always get it for my desert ! Now I want to make it at my home!