Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
Just plain good, easy, quick. Keeps well. The number of crackers you use will depend on the size of the cookie sheet. Let your imagination guide you to toppings and flavours of chocolate.
- 1 cup yellow sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 40 -50 soda crackers (I use the salted ones)
- 2 cups chocolate chips (mint, regular or??)
- 1 cup chopped nuts or 1 cup raisins or 1 cup coconut
- One cookie sheet with edges, greased.
- Cover the pan with crackers and set aside.
- In a small pot bring to a gentle boil the yellow sugar and the butter, boil gently for 3 minutes.
- Pour over the crackers and place in a 350°F oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cover with the chocolate chips of any flavour.
- Return to the oven till just melted.
- Remove from the oven and spread the chocolate all over the top.
- Sprinkle with the chopped nuts, raisins or ?; press gently into the chocolate.
- Refrigerate till set then break into pieces.
Everybody loves these! So easy to make, I usually use chopped almonds and coconut but I amdefinitely going to try the mint chips! Youcan also use Graham crackers as the base
This treat is an amazing Christmas tradition in my family...(always lots of kids and always not a lot of money ;-) and one that I'm happy to pass down to my kids...that is of course, after I hide half of them away, in the freezer, sealed in Duct tape, so they don't disappear the first hour! (They freeze perfectly, by the way...actually, I prefer them frozen!)
So many variations too. We made them this afternoon with broken pieces of After Eights mixed in with the milk chocolate chips, sooo yummy.
A few notes: I have used yellow, brown and white sugar, doesn't matter, it's all good. And I sprinkle the chocolate (and whatever additions) on the hot, sugary crackers and just let them sit on the stove. Everything melts in a minute or two from the heat of the crackers. That way I don't have to worry a second time about burning anything. ;-)
Thanks for posting this recipe so I don't have too!
Definitely 5 STARS!!!! I just finished these and I did half the batch plain (chocolate chips on top) and the other batch with crushed candy canes on top of the chocolate. I couldn't even wait until they cooled to try it!!! SO YUMMY!!! Only trouble is, will the people who are on my list to give this to for Christmas recieve it, or will I eat it all????