Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from the back of a saltine cracker box. It's an absolutely wonderful blend of flavors and makes a nutritious and satisfying side dish. My vegetable shy family ate it up. Nice as leftovers too!
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 32 saltine crackers, any variety (i.e. low sodium)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- Cook and stir red pepper, onion, zucchini and italian seasoning in butter or margarine in large skillet until tender.
- Layer half each of the crackers, vegetable mixture and cheese in lightly greased 8x8x2-inch baking pan.
- Repeat layers, ending with cheese.
- Beat eggs and milk in bowl; pour evenly over cheese layer.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
Back in the 70's I had a neighbor that made this same recipe and it was so good. I asked her to write it down for me and all she would tell me was it was on the box. I can't wait to make it. I think she added tomatoes to hers. Thank you PA Kathy.
This recipe is very tasty. It gets a big 5 stars from me.
We really enjoyed this recipe. I halved everything, but next time will keep a full complement of vegetables.It was easy to put together too. Thanks PAKathy!