Love the nutty flavor and texture of this bread.
Make and share this Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread recipe from Food.com.
- 3⁄4 cup cracked wheat
- 1 cup hot water
- 1⁄4 cup melted margarine
- 1 egg (this can be left out to make it an egg free product) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup golden flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup raw sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1⁄2-4 cups white flour
- In a medium bowl place the cracked wheat and pour the hot water over it, let sit.
- In your mixer place margarine, milk, salt, egg, molasses, honey, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds. Pour in wheat mixture when it reaches lukewarm temperature.
- Pour in starter and mix well.
- Starting with wheat flour mix in flour one cup at a time. Mixing well after each addition. You may only need 3-1/2 cups of the white flour.
- Mix for about 10 minutes to allow the wheat flour to develop.
- Transfer to a well greased bowl and let rise 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch down, let rise 1 hours.
- Divide into three loaves and let rise till doubled.
- Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes, tops will be brown.
- Thump bottoms of loaves and if they sound hollow they are done.
- Place on racks to cool.