1/1 Photo of Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread
Love the nutty flavor and texture of this bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup cracked wheat
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup melted margarine
- 1 egg (this can be left out to make it an egg free product) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup golden flax seed
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2-4 cups white flour
- 1In a medium bowl place the cracked wheat and pour the hot water over it, let sit.
- 2In your mixer place margarine, milk, salt, egg, molasses, honey, flax seeds, and sunflower seeds. Pour in wheat mixture when it reaches lukewarm temperature.
- 3Pour in starter and mix well.
- 4Starting with wheat flour mix in flour one cup at a time. Mixing well after each addition. You may only need 3-1/2 cups of the white flour.
- 5Mix for about 10 minutes to allow the wheat flour to develop.
- 6Transfer to a well greased bowl and let rise 1-1/2 hours.
- 7Punch down, let rise 1 hours.
- 8Divide into three loaves and let rise till doubled.
- 9Bake at 350 for about 40-45 minutes, tops will be brown.
- 10Thump bottoms of loaves and if they sound hollow they are done.
- 11Place on racks to cool.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1585 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1306.6
- Calories from Fat 276
- Total Fat 30.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 1399.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 227.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 24.0 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 38.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: