Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Bulgur wheat makes an excellent pilaf. For the grown ups, this chewy, high fiber grain is paired with chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and olives, also staples of Middle Eastern cuisine. Seasoned with lemon juice, garlic, and hot pepper sauce, this healthy side dish is ready in short order. For the children dried apples, raisins, and nuts make their variation almost like dessert. This recipe goes well with Moroccan Spiced Lamb, Curried Steak with Orange Sauce, and orange Curry Chicken.
- 1 cup Bulgar wheat
FOR THE GOWN-UPS
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 green onion, sliced fine
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and coarsely chopped
- 0.5 (2 1/4 ounce) cansliced black olives
- cayenne pepper
FOR THE CHILDREN
- 1⁄4 cup dried apple (see note)
- 2 tablespoons raisins (see note) or 2 tablespoons currants (see note)
- 1⁄4 cup apple juice (more if needed, see note) or 1⁄4 cup water (more if needed, see note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans, walnuts (optional) or 2 tablespoons almonds (optional)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil. Add 1 cup bulgur wheat, reduce heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Pour into a strainer and drain well.
- Transfer half to another dish for the children.
- For the Children: Stir in the apples, raisins, pecans (if using), and butter. Season with salt, if desired.
- For the Adults: Put the lemon zest, lemon juice, green onions, garlic, Tabasco sauce, garbanzo beans, and olives in a small microwave safe dish. Microwave at full power for 2 to 3 minutes. Fold into the bulgur wheat for the grown ups. Season with salt and cayenne.
- NOTE: If desired, the apples and raisins can be softened and plumped in apple juice. Place the dried fruits in a microwave safe dish and cover with apple juice. Microwave at full power for 1 minute. Let stand, then drain when ready to use. Serves 2 adults and 2 or 3 children.
- The Whole Family Cookbook.,.Two Tiered Meals to Please, Both Parents and Kids.
Great dish. We loved it. We added some cooked chicken. Mmmm......
Flexible and healthy. GB