Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a nutritious, hearty bread with a nice nutty taste. It makes great toast! Cracked wheat can be found in a bulk food store.
- Put cracked wheat into a small pot with 1 to 2 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium and boil for 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain well.
- Let cool about 15 minutes.
- Put cooked wheat into bread machine.
- Add all other ingredients as listed except for the sunflower seeds.
- If you don't have buttermilk, you can make a substitute by adding 1 tbsp lemon juice to one cup of whole milk.
- Stir and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Use amount called for in the recipe.
- Set bread machine for whole wheat bread.
- Press start.
- Add sunflower seeds at'addition' beep.
This makes the most amazing bread! I have modified the recipe to use olive oil instead of butter, omit the sunflower seeds, and use my stand mixer with dough hook. I found I needed a bit more flour because the dough was too soft; knead with the dough hook until dough leaves the sides of the bowl, about 6-10 min. Let rise in a bowl sprayed with Pam, covered about 45 min. Deflate and form in a loaf and let rise, covered for another 45 min. Bake 40-45 min. @ 350, tenting with foil after 20 min. to prevent over-browning. Delish! p.s. Buy the cracked wheat from MySpiceSage.com
This recipe is great! I made it twice--the first time with sunflower seeds as mini loaves and the second time without as a regular loaf. I preferred it without the sunflower seeds. I also prefer to use the bread machine on the dough cycle and then make the bread in a bread pan in the oven because I don't like the shape of bread machine dough, but that's just my preference. If you want to do that--the recipe makes 5 mini loaves (350 degrees for 20 minutes) or 1 big loaf (350 degrees for 45 minutes). I live at a high altitude, over 7,000 feet, and this recipe turned out great!