Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
The roasted onion sauce really goes well with the peppery steaks and it's very easy to do ahead and then reheat when the steaks are ready. Recipe from The Steak Lover's Cookbook by William Rice.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Place the onion wedges in a baking dish. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with a little salt. Stir to coat all the pieces evenly. Roast, uncovered, until browned and soft, about 1 hour. Remove and let stand until slightly cooled.
- Put the onions in a blender or food processor; add the broth and soy sauce and blend to a smooth puree. Transfer the sauce to a small saucepan, cover and set aside.
- Preheat the broiler or prepare coals for grilling.
- Press the cracked pepper onto both sides of each steak, using about 1 teaspoons of pepper for each steak. Broil or grill the steaks until seared and nicely browned on one side, about 4 minutes for medium-rare and 5 minutes for medium. Turn and cook 4 minutes more for both medium-rare and medium.
- Reheat the onion sauce while the steaks are cooking. Spoon the warmed sauce over each steak and serve.
Love this roasted onion sauce! I bake the onions at 400 degrees and don't wedge them. I drizzle olive oil 2 ~ 3 times during baking. I also double the roasting time so the onions are nicely charred. I keep making it and the husband requests this anytime we have steaks! Move over a1!!!
Onion Sauce is spectacular and easy. I used more olive oil than suggested in the recipe. I also added some fresh thyme when making the pure. This can be made the day before and reheated while the rib eyes are grilling. Yum, yum, yum.