Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
A buddy e-mailed me this a while back, It's pretty dang good too. Cracked pepper is different from freshly ground pepper because the former is stronger in flavor and aroma. Grind them in a food processor or blender, only pulsing them once or twice just to crack them.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 teaspoons cracked pepper
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- When the foam goes down, whisk in the flour.
- Continually whisk until the flour cooks, becoming a fragrant light brown.
- Slowly add the milk, continuing to whisk to keep lumps from forming.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer gravy for 10 minutes to cook and reduce.
- Serve hot.
I have never, ever been able to make gravy, and this turned out perfect! I substituted the milk for silk and used vegan butter as we have some lactose-intolerant members in our family. Still turned out awesome!!