Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
This has been my favorite dish in ALL food categories for some time now. Thankfully, I don't have a weight or heart problem...yet. ;o) I recommend using filet mignon and Italian cremini mushrooms as they are an integral part of the resulting flavor. I love the way the pepper is tempered by the cream sauce. Just typing this out has prompted me to make this again tonight. Let me know what you think!
Top Review by I_Fortuna
Wow ! Yum. Next time I am going to try this recipe with Flax Milk. I will use olive oil as well for flavor. I will also try it covered in butter and blue cheese which go great with beef. I don't eat much meat but this is how I like it and rare! Thanks for this recipe.
FOR THE MEAT
- 4 (8 ounce) center cut beef tenderloin steaks (can use sirloin steaks, but of course, it's not the same)
- 4 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon soft butter
FOR THE CREAM SAUCE
- 6 ounces cremini mushrooms (the Italian brown ones)
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil, chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons soft butter, unsalted
Directions See How It's Made
- While heating the oil and 1 T of butter in a large sauté pan over medium high heat, season the tenderloins with cracked black pepper and salt.
- Place the tenderloins in the hot pan and sauté for 4 minutes, then turn and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Cover with foil and set aside.
- Slice mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat 2 T soft butter in a large saucepan over medium high heat.
- When hot, add shallots and mushrooms and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and sauté until it becomes soft.
- Add the heavy cream and steak juice from set-aside plate and reduce by one-third.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Finally, add the basil and keep warm.
- Have little hope of keeping your arteries open while enjoying this awesome dish.