Recipe by Kate 8:)
The most awesome macaroni and cheese ever! So addictive, we call it "crackaroni." You just can't stop eating this fabulously creamy concoction. I slightly changed the recipe of a coworker who brought it to a potluck. Proceed at your own risk. I can't be responsible for the rise in your cholesterol levels.
Top Review by hckymama
This was very good, although the ingredients call for vinegar and the instructions say sugar. I assumed sugar was correct and this was fairly easy to make. I used bow-tie pasta and made it in my LeCrueset. I gave it four stars because although this was very good, I am not sure I will make it again.
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni (I prefer bowtie)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- white pepper (optional)
- 8 ounces Velveeta cheese (cubed)
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces small curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook and drain macaroni slightly al dente. Place in greased 2 qt casserole dish.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Add flour for a light roux.
- Stirring constantly, gradually add the milk, cooking until thickened.
- Add pepper, salt and sugar, mixing thoroughly.
- Add Velveeta cubes and stir until melted.
- Add sour cream and cottage cheese, stirring until well combined.
- Pour over macaroni and mix well. It will look "cheesy" but will soak into the macaroni during cooking.
- Spread cheddar cheese over the top.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.