Recipe by Alfie's Mama
This is a favorite of my family and friends. One of my former roommates gave it the name "crack" lasagna because everyone who has had it is hooked on the stuff.
Top Review by Thymestudio
This recipe got mixed reviews at my house and I can only say it 'needed' something to make it special for us, personally. Nothing wrong with the recipe, the finished product just tasted ok to us, not very exciting. That might have been the sausage we used, as that is the base of the recipe and would make or break it. There is a lot of variables there. ...and I am going to stay with traditional noodles, I did not like the no-boil ones (but that is not the fault of the recipe, just my personal preference.) But, thank you for posting it I enjoyed trying this out. PAC-Fall07
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (I like turkey or chicken sausage)
- 1 lb broccoli rabe (bunch or bag) or 1 lb kale (bunch or bag)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 15 ounces low fat cottage cheese
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- no-boil lasagna noodles
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (low fat or fat free is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown and crumble sausage in a skillet.
- Wash and chop greens.
- Remove sausage from pan and drain on paper towels.
- Wipe out skillet. Heat olive oil in skillet and saute garlic.
- Add greens to skillet.
- Cook uncovered till wilted down.
- Add 1/3 cup water to skillet.
- Cook on low heat covered till greens are tender.
- Add the sausage back into the cooked greens.
- Set aside 1/2 cup to 1 cup of the greens sausage mixture for the top.
- Mix cottage cheese, ricotta, pesto and egg together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Line the bottom of a lasagna pan with the lasagna noodles.
- Put half of the sausage/greens mixture on top of noodles followed by ricotta mixture.
- Layer with more lasagna noodles. Top with sausage/greens mixture followed by remaining ricotta mixture. Place another layer of noodles on top. Cover with monzerella cheese, reserved sausage/greens mixture and pine nuts if desired.
- Bake for 1/2 hour till melty and bubbly.