Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From "Caribbean Cooking" by John DeMers.
- 1 cup milk
- 2 scotch bonnet peppers or 2 jalapeno chiles, minced
- 1 bouquet garni (thyme & bay leaf & parsley tied together)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons minced onions
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- dark rum
- In a heavy saucepan, combine milk, half of the chiles, the bouquet garni, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, then cool completely and strain into a bowl.
- Add bread crumbs and let them soak up liquid 15 minutes.
- Then squeeze out any excess liquid and mix bread crumbs in a bowl with crabmeat.
- In a small skillet, fry bacon with remaining chiles until crisp.
- Remove using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Stir bacon, onion and herbs into crabmeat mixture.
- Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add crab mixture; cook, stirring, about 10 minutes, until browned.
- Blend in lime juice and rum to taste.
- Preheat oven to 300F (150C).
- Butter 10 small baking dishes and divide crab mixture among them.
- Arrange on baking sheets.
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.