This recipe evolved because I could not afford (nor find) fresh crabmeat for a recipe I had pulled out of the paper. It sounds like a lot of ingredients, but comes together quickly. Hope you enjoy it!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 large onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium stalk celery
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 8 -10 ounces evaporated milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic pepper seasoning
- 2 (6 ounce) cans lump crabmeat, with juices
- 1⁄2-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 1 qt baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and green pepper. Saute until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Stir frequently.
- Add flour and stir until blended with vegetables. Add Old Bay and stir once more. Gradually add milk while stirring constantly until thick. Remove from heat.
- Add egg, salt, peppers and crabmeat. Stir to blend.
- Place mixture into casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and begins to lightly brown.