Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A lovely recipe from my past life in New England. Great for brunch, lunch or dinner. May be prepared and refrigerated ahead of time.
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 12 slices white bread, crusts removed
- 10 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen king crab meat, thawed, drained and shredded
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup finely chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Coat a 2 quart baking dish with the melted butter.
- Line the bottom and sides with bread slices then the cheese slices.
- Fold crabmeat, milk, mayonnaise, green pepper, dill, and mushrooms into the beaten eggs.
- Season to taste with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Pour over bread and cheese slices.
- Place in a baking pan and fill the pan with boiling water halfway up the side of the baking dish.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours or until a knife inserted into the pudding comes out clean.
- Serve immediately.
Very tasty and perfect in every way, enjoyed thoroughly! Made without mushrooms.
What a FABULOUS savoury bread pudding - I could not make in straight away as I could not find frozen crabmeat! (I am in France) But, as soon as I got some, I made this for lunch yesterday and we BOTH loved it! Tangy, cheesy and craby tasting - very tasty indeed. Having waited to get hold of the frozen crab, I made no substitutions and made it exactly as posted - well written and very easy. We ate this with a crisp fresh salad and a glass of Chablis. Get well soon Lorac and merci beaucoup! FT:-)