Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Every Day's A Party Cookbook by Emeril Lagasse.
- 12 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and cut in half lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (not that Miracle Whip stuff)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper or 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon hot sauce (Tabasco)
- 1⁄2 lb lump crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives or 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- 1 ounce black caviar, such as beluga, osetra, sevruga or 1 ounce red salmon roe
- paprika, for sprinkling
- Remove the egg yolks from the whites and put in a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Using the back of a fork, mash the eggs and then add mayonnaise, lemon juice, salt, black or white pepper, hot sauce and chives or green onions.
- Stir with a fork to mix.
- Add the crabmeat and stir gently to mix.
- Spoon equal amounts of the mixture unto the egg white halves.
- Chill the eggs for 2 hours before serving.
- To serve, garnish with caviar, if desired.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
Fantastic appy that can be done in advance, is visually appealing and takes a great spin on an old favorite. This goes fantastic with a chilled glass of rose champagne. Thanks for the treat!
Hi there Di, I made these yesterday to bring to a party, and they turned out great. What appealed to me about this recipe is the fact that there is a lot less mayo called for than most recipes. Also, the idea of the crabmeat seemed different. I did not use the caviar since I don't like it, and I did add 2 tsp dijon mustard & some fresh parsley to the mix. By the way, I made 30 of these, and they were consumed within a few minutes after putting them on the buffet table. Thanks for sharing! --Marla
BAM! (haha)These are good.I was out of hot sauce(gasp)and I didn't use the cavier but followed thr rest of the recipe.I used white pepper and green onion.Thanks!