1 hr 43 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
This recipe comes from the website gumbopages.com, & is said to be somewhat different from some other similar cheesecakes in that is uses a pecan nut crust, & this cheesecake is said to be THE appetizer at the Palace Cafe in New Orleans. [NOTE: The recipe actually calls for 3 ounces of Creole cream cheese, but also indicates that since that is not easy to obtain, 3 tablespoons each of plain yogurt & sour cream are a suitable substitute, & that's what I've listed in the recipe.]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE PECAN CRUST
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 3 tablespoons ice water
FOR THE FILLING
- 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 4 ounces fresh lump crabmeat, picked over for shells
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash white pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce (to taste)
FOR THE GARNISH
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced (mixed wild & exotic)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 ounces Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ounce hot sauce
- 3 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 24 crab, claw fingers
- 1 dash salt, to taste
- 1 dash black pepper, to taste
- 1FOR THE PECAN CRUST: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Grind the pecans, flour & salt in a food processor until fine, then transfer to a bowl.
- 3Add butter, working it into the flour until there are crumbs the size of small peas.
- 4Toss in the ice water, & using fingers, lift up the dough to incorporate evenly. [The dough will remain fairly crumbly].
- 5Starting with the sides, & then the bottom, press the dough into a 9" tart pan.
- 6Bake crust for about 20 minutes, then allow it to cool before filling. Meanwhile, reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- 7FOR THE FILLING: Cook the onion in a little butter over medium heat until translucent.
- 8Add crabmeat & cook just until heated through, then remove from heat & set aside.
- 9In a mixing bowl, using a wooden spoon, blend the cream cheese until smooth, then add the yogurt & sour cream. After that add the eggs one at a time.
- 10Fold this cheese mixture into the crabmeat mixture, & season to taste with salt, pepper & hot sauce.
- 11Pour this mixture into the prepared & cooled crust, then bake for about 30 minutes until set & firm to the touch.
- 12FOR THE GARNISH: Saute shallots until translucent, then add mushrooms and 'SWEAT' until just cooked through.
- 13Add lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce & hot sauce, & cook until the mixture is reduced by 3/4.
- 14Add heavy cream & cook until reduced by half, then whisk in the butter.
- 15In a separate saute pan, add crab claw fingers. Salt & pepper to taste, then pour the reduced mixture over the crab claws & keep warm.
- 16Each slice of cheesecake gets 3 crab claws & 2 tablespoons of the reduced sauce.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crabmeat Cheesecake With Pecan Crust (Creole)
Serving Size: 1 (648 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 842.7
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 425.4 mg
- Sodium 1993.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 94.7 g