Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a former co-worker at the hospital I use to work in Louisiana. Every get together we knew to bring and make copies of our recipes because everything was always so good!
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large bell pepper, chopped
- 5 -6 green onions, copped with tops
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup wine (optional)
- 1⁄2-1 cup flour
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (your favorite)
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (or crushed crackers can be subsittuted)
- Sauté vegetables in butter until tender.
- Add to vegetables: salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, wine, lemon juice and set aside.
- Heat milk and water just to a simmer, slowly add flour and cheese, then add sautéed vegetables, soup, stirring well.
- Cook for five minutes, gently fold in crabmeat, mix slowly.
- Pour in buttered casserole bowl, top with bread crumbs.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
I made this in a deep casserole dish and served over asparagus, when I think it would have been better in au gratin dishes or a low oval casserole dish--served as a hot dip with crackers. Excellent, rich flavor. This needs to be made with at least 1 cup of flour. I made it with 1/2 cup and it never set correctly and I had to fix it by adding flour after it had baked. I will make this again for our office holiday luncheon, but I think I will try 1 cup of flour and maybe an egg or two to get the desired consistency. Thanks! This is a keeper.
Gotta tell you, this recipe was delicious! There's a lot of chopping in the prep, but it's worth it in the end. It was a bit too spicy for me so next time I will reduce the cayenne pepper by half. The only other changes I made in an effort to reduce the calories and carbs was to reduce the butter by half, substitute Fat free evaporated milk and Healthy choice cream of mushroom soup, use Jarlsberg Lite cheese, and I made my own breadcrumbs instead of using the canned ones. I'll definitely make this again and again. Thanks, Justmez2!
I tried this recipe this weekend at the camp and it was very good. Light and easy to make. Good job. Thank you. Margie