Recipe by Kikimony
Cheesy, creamy crabmeat! If you like crabmeat and au gratin then this is a dish for you! Another recipe from my mom in New Orleans.
Top Review by Pets'R'us
Did not change or add a thing making this recipe. What I did do was that I cooked macaroni, topped it with the crab mixture, the cheese and then baked it as stated, served with a plain salad and garlic baguette.
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2 lb grated American cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions and celery in butter until wilted.
- Blend flour in well with this mixture.
- Pour in milk gradually, stirring constantly.
- Add egg yolks, salt, red and black pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Put crabmeat in a bowl suitable for mixing and pour the cooked sauce over the crabmeat.
- Blend well and then transfer to a lightly greased casserole and sprinkle with grated American Cheese Bake at 375 for 10- 15 minutes or light brown.