Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This dish is great served with a tossed green salad and crusty bread. Recipe Source: American Profile
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 (12 ounce) cans low-fat evaporated milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 lb fresh crabmeat, picked over for shells and cartilage
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F Grease a 12 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add flour and stir until well blended. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Add a ladle of milk mixture to beaten egg yolks; stir well. Pour egg mixture into milk mixture in pan. Add salt, cayenne and black pepper; cook, stirring, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Place crabmeat in a medium bowl. Add sauce and mix gently but thoroughly to blend. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle with Cheddar.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes, or until cheese melts and begins to lightly brown.
It was delicious. Husband thought a bit too bland, even after he added tabasco sauce. I thought it was fine and would probably consider this more to serve for brunch.
Nice recipe, easy-to-make, good ingredients, smells great while it's baking, but this really did not trip my taste-bud trigger like I was hoping it would. :-( I guess maybe I didn't care for the "custardy" part so much. Sorry!
WOW, WOW, WOW! This was rich, tasty and delicious! We loved it! I left out the celery because we're not too crazy about that. Thanks, Ceezie