Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful crabdish for a dinner party. I usually cut it in half for my family. It is wonderful.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup half-and-half cream, heated
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- cayenne pepper
- 1 cup American cheese, grated
- 2 lbs crabmeat
- Melt butter. Add onions, celery, bell pepper and pimiento and saute until soft.
- Stir in flour and blend well.
- Add hot half and half, stirring; cook, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Add wine, salt, and cayenne.
- Spread crabmeat in buttered baking dish; spoon sauce over crabmeat and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until bubbly.
I really enjoyed this. I halved the recipe. I didn't add any salt and it was fine without it. I did add a little dried tarragon to the sauce and I used cheddar cheese instead of American. I think almost any cheese would work with this recipe. Enjoyed by all. Thanx for posting. I'll make it again.