Recipe by Manami
I have searched for an easier recipe for this but to no avail. This is a little labor intensive but oh so good! Don't let it put you off and try it, at least once. From the foodnetwork.com courtesy of Emeril Lagasse, 2003.
Top Review by KathyP53
Really delicious fondue for parties. I substituted a jarred tomato pesto instead of making the confit. It worked perfectly! Swirl the tomato stuff, but don't blend completely just before serving. So pretty!
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces brie cheese, trimmed of rind
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground white pepper
- 1 lb lump crabmeat, picked clean of shells and cartilage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves
- French bread or croutons or focaccia bread, croutons and bite-size pieces or assorted fresh vegetable, bite-size pieces
Tomato Confit use 2 to 3 Tbls
- 1⁄4 lb plum tomato, cored, halved and seeded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- olive oil, as needed
Directions See How It's Made
- Tomato Confit:.
- Place tomatoes in a small saucepan and season with the salt.
- Add rosemary sprig and garlic and enough olive oil to barley cover the top of tomatoes.
- Bring oil to a very low simmer and cook for about 1 hour.
- Remove tomatoes from the oil with a slotted spoon and place in food processor or blender.
- Process until smooth, 1-2 minutes. Yield about 1/2 cup.
- Place a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the butter to the pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add the shallots and saute, stirring occasionally, until the shallots are soft and translucent, about 1 miute.
- Add the heavy cream and bring to a simmer.
- Once the cream is hot and bubbling, add the Brie and use a whisk to stir into the cream.
- Season the cream with the salt and pepper and add crabmeat to the pan; use a wooden spoon and stir in slowly.
- Continue to cook the fondue over medium heat until the cream is slightly reduced, about 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir into the fondue.
- Transfer fondue to a fondue pot and spoon Tomato Confit into the fondue.
- Serve warm with bread and/or fresh assorted vegetables.