Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
very easy very good !!! you need crab apple asmany as you want more the better the more jelly from jonathanwallace
- Wash your crab apples to remove critters and any dirt.
- Throw out any rotten or bad ones, remove leaves and any woody stuff.
- But leave them whole no need to remove centers etc -- (waste of time).
- Put in large pot 2/3 full otherwise it will boil over.
- Fill pot till all the apples float.
- Heat on Med. heat till boiling, once they boil cook for 2-3 hours.
- Strain the mixture through cheese cloth keeping the liquid, thats gonna be our jelly.
- If you want you can make crabapple cheese with the solids ( but were here to make jelly).
- Measure the liquid as best you can for every 1 L of liquid you will need 1 kg of sugar.
- Add sugar to liquid in a pot, and stir till boiling then reduce heat but keep it low rolling boil for about 10-15 minute.
- Then you can reduce heat to low.
- On a small plate take your stir stick or wooden spoon and drizzel a few drops of the liquid allowing it to cool. keep doing this till it jells.
- When it jells you are ready to start canning (see pic's).