Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a lovely salad that is excellent as a luncheon dish, or for a light summertime dinner. Don' let the long ingredient list scare you....this is easy to put together. This is my version of the crabacado salad recipe I found in the 'Benson & Hedges 100's 100 Recipes from 100 of the Greatest Restaurants' and it's originally from Houlihan's Old Place in Atlanta, Georgia. Cook time is for hard boiling the eggs.
Top Review by ratherbeswimmin'
I knew as soon as I saw the name of this recipe that I had to try it. It turned out wonderful. I don't know if I got the placement of all the ingredients just right, but it looked OK to me. ;) My mom was over helping me pack for vacation and I served this for lunch. We both thought it was heavenly and very filling. Thanks Judy.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup minced celery
- 1⁄4 cup drained minced capers
- 1 hard-boiled egg, minced
- 2 tablespoons drained minced pimiento
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- 2 chilled ripe avocados, halved,seeded and peeled
- 3⁄4 lb crabmeat, drained if canned
- 4 chilled tomatoes
- 4 chilled artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 chilled hard-boiled eggs
- 16 chilled whole pitted black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, blend together mayo, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and Worcestershire.
- Stir in celery, capers, minced egg, pimiento and parsley.
- Arrange leaf lettuce on four salad plates.
- Place one avocado half on each plate.
- Reserve a little crab for garnish and divide remaining between the between the 4 avocado halves, placing the crabmeat in the cavities of the avocadoes.
- Spoon a fourth of the dressing over each avocado.
- Place one piece of reserved crab on top.
- Sprinkle each salad lightly with paprika.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise.
- Place one-half of the tomato on the lettuce at each end of the avocado.
- Cut each artichoke heart in half lengthwise and place on each side of the avocado.
- Cut each egg in quarter wedges and place on each corner of the salad platter.
- Place one black olive alongside each quarter of egg.
- Serve immediately.