Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lovely salad that is excellent as a luncheon dish, or for a light summertime dinner. Don' let the long ingredient list scare you....this is easy to put together. This is my version of the crabacado salad recipe I found in the 'Benson & Hedges 100's 100 Recipes from 100 of the Greatest Restaurants' and it's originally from Houlihan's Old Place in Atlanta, Georgia. Cook time is for hard boiling the eggs.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup minced celery
- 1⁄4 cup drained minced capers
- 1 hard-boiled egg, minced
- 2 tablespoons drained minced pimiento
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 head leaf lettuce
- 2 chilled ripe avocados, halved,seeded and peeled
- 3⁄4 lb crabmeat, drained if canned
- 4 chilled tomatoes
- 4 chilled artichoke hearts, drained
- 4 chilled hard-boiled eggs
- 16 chilled whole pitted black olives
- In a bowl, blend together mayo, sour cream, mustard, lemon juice and Worcestershire.
- Stir in celery, capers, minced egg, pimiento and parsley.
- Arrange leaf lettuce on four salad plates.
- Place one avocado half on each plate.
- Reserve a little crab for garnish and divide remaining between the between the 4 avocado halves, placing the crabmeat in the cavities of the avocadoes.
- Spoon a fourth of the dressing over each avocado.
- Place one piece of reserved crab on top.
- Sprinkle each salad lightly with paprika.
- Cut each tomato in half lengthwise.
- Place one-half of the tomato on the lettuce at each end of the avocado.
- Cut each artichoke heart in half lengthwise and place on each side of the avocado.
- Cut each egg in quarter wedges and place on each corner of the salad platter.
- Place one black olive alongside each quarter of egg.
- Serve immediately.