Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Please Note: My prep time includes for opening the oysters, prep time will be less is buying oysters already on the half shell. I went to my fish market last weekend and bought some king crab legs, to make crab stuffed ostrich, the legs were huge and when I removed all the meat I realized there was far too much meat for just the ostrich I had. I had also bought some oysters as my niece loves them and she was coming over, I had planned on making oysters kilpatrick and mornay to start, when I realized I had so much crab I changed my mind and made crab topped oyster instead.
- 16 large oysters
- 1⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- rock salt
- bearnaise sauce
- 450 g fresh lump crabmeat
Easy Bearnaise Sauce
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 3 teaspoons tarragon, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons parsley, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup hollandaise sauce, kept warm
- Scrub oyster shells and open Oysters discard top shell, drain liquid, rinse under cold running water to remove any sand or grit.
- Place oysters on a bed of rock salt (this helps to keep them stable.) in a large flat pan.
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of béarnaise over each oyster and top with 1 tablespoon of crab meat. Add another 1-2 teaspoons of sauce over crab.
- Sprinkle oysters with bread crumbs and paprika. Bake at 190°C for 15 minutes or until sauce starts to brown.
- Béarnaise Method.
- Combine shallots, tarragon, parsley, white wine and pepper in a small saucepan and boil over a high heat until liquid has been reduced by half.
- Remove from heat you can either leave as is or strain through a fine sieve if desired.
- Cool slightly and beat the mixture into the warm hollandaise. If desired add a few extra chopped fresh herbs.
- Yields about 1 cup.