I combined two different recipes and tweaked here and there. I can't remember where they originally came from. The cod will taste just like lobster! It melts in your mouth. This is a family favorite and ask for it every week. This is not a low-calorie dish so beware!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 cod fish fillets (not necessary to thaw if using frozen)
- 6 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 cup butter, plus
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion (I use flakes if I have to)
- 1/3 cup minced crabmeat (I used canned)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed (barely a smidgen in my book)
- 12 garlic butter flavored Ritz crackers, crushed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8-1/4 cup grated parmesan-romano cheese mix
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Dissolve the sugar and salt in the water then pour over the cod fillets in a large saucepan.
- 3Bring to a boil (which may take a while if using frozen fillets).
- 4Boil 4 to 5 minutes.
- 5Scoop fish out and drain very well, blotting as necessary.
- 6Place in a baking dish and brush with 6 Tbs of melted butter (must be the real cahoona, not margarine).
- 7While the fish comes to boiling point I start on the topping.
- 8Melt the rest of the butter in a saucepan and add the onion, sauté for 1 minute.
- 9Add the crab, parsley, dill, garlic powder and a touch of salt and pepper.
- 10Stir for 1 minute.
- 11Remove from the heat and add your crushed crackers.
- 12I top the buttered fillets with this mixture (you may want to use your hands to pile it high if your fillets are chunky); sprinkle with a little more melted butter and the lemon juice.
- 13Sprinkle with parmesan to taste.
- 14Place in oven until topping is slightly brown.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab Topped " Cod"-Ster
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 628.5
- Calories from Fat 273
- Total Fat 30.3 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 171.7 mg
- Sodium 2724.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 42.3 g
- Protein 42.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: