Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
although the ingredients may sound strange this is really refreshing and delicious!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces crabmeat, divided
- 1 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil, plus 3 tbsp
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups Clamato juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup bottled clam juice
- 2 teaspoons Old Bay Seasoning
- hot pepper sauce
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- melt butter in a heavy saucepan.
- add 3/4 of the crabmeat, 1/3 c basil, and garlic.
- saute 2 minutes.
- stir in flour, stir for 2 minutes.
- add clam-tomato juice, cream, ketchup, clam juice, old bay and pepper sauce reduce heat to low, simmer for 10 minutes.
- puree soup with an immersion blender (or pour into blender in batches and then return to the pot) add water and lemon juice, simmer.
- season to taste with salt& pepper.
- pour into 6 bowls, garnish with remaining crab and basil.
Oh. My. Gosh. I had planned on making shrimp bisque, but ended up using the shrimp for another recipe. I am so glad I didn't have shrimp, because I never would have found this! Amazing!! I actually used half & half instead of cream and tomato sauce for the Clamato because that is what I had. This is the creamiest most amazing soup! A *perfect* beginning to our dinner of steak and pasta!
This was so good! I don't know what old bay seasoning is, so we cooked it without that, but it was still delicious. Maybe it's something you can only get in the States. The grocery store people didn't know what it was either.