Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is originally from an old church cookbook. It is not recommended to use reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced green pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 lb fresh crabmeat or 1⁄2 lb canned crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed or 1 cup imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- 1 dash paprika
- In a small saucepan, saute the onion and green pepper in 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour until blended; gradually stir in the milk. Add chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened.
- Remove from heat; stir in the crab, mayonnaise and hot pepper sauce. Transfer to a greased shallow 1-qt. Baking dish.
- Melt the remaining butter and toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake uncovered at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with paprika.