Recipe by The Flying Chef
I came up with this one the other week as I had bought some king crab legs from the supermarket as they had them not only on special but actually in stock. They were of a medium size no where near the size of the ones I bought when I made my stuffed Ostrich loin as I was only stuffing 2 steaks this time. I did fill them quite full and I bought very thick cut steaks I would guess they would have been between 250-300g a piece. I say that as I do not know the exact weight of them as silly me took them out of the pack and threw it away and forgot to look at the weight to write down as I usually do so I have it for when I post. I guess just judge from the photo as to what you would need, mine was the smaller of the 2 steaks my husbands was thicker. I also used a sachet of bearnaise sauce to make the recipe quicker, you can make your own if you prefer.
Top Review by PSU Lioness
I made this recipe for my SO and son for Valentine's Day and it was FANTASTIC! All of the flavors went together well and it got rave reviews across the board. I did have to cook the asparagus about 20 minutes longer than suggested to get it (and the bacon) cooked to our liking and even after cooking the steaks on each side for 2 minutes, they were still pretty rare after they came out of the oven. I also used Hollandaise sauce instead of Bernaise but it was still delicious with the ingredients that you suggested. I think next time I make this, I will throw the steaks on the grill. Thanks for posting!
- 2 steak fillets, thick ones
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 medium king crab legs (read description above.)
- 2 green onions, sliced thinly
- 1 small celery rib, cut in half, then chopped thinly
- olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 20 baby asparagus spears
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 (23 g) sachet bearnaise sauce mix (mine was 23g sachet made up 300ml, I added 200ml of milk and made up the last 100ml of liquid from t)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 50 ml cream, full fat (I used reduced fat.) or 50 ml light cream (I used reduced fat.)
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 2 teaspoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Make stuffing.
- Remove crab from legs, break meat up.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a pan, add celery and onion cook 1 minute, add garlic cook for a further 2 minutes stirring or until celery and onion soften.
- Add parsley, pepper and crab, stir to combine, remove and set to one side.
- Cut steak horizontally through the middle being careful not cut all the way through. Open steak out so it is butterflied, take a meat mallet and pound to flaten slightly.
- Divide stuffing mix between the 2 steaks, placing it on one half of the steak, fold the remaining half over the top.
- Spread half a teaspoon of horseradish over the top of each steak, wrap 2 bacon rashers around each one to secure.
- Cook steaks in a hot pan 2 minutes each side to brown, Place steaks in oven proof dish and cook in a pre-heated oven of 180 degrees Celsius for 15-20 minutes depending on how thick they are for a nice pink centre.
- Pour bearnaise into a saucepan, add 200ml of milk whisk to combine, heat stirring until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add sauce, juice, wine, vinegar, Tabasco, cream and herbs, cooking stirring until mixture thickens. Sauce can be left on a warm stove to keep warm, just stir occasionally.
- Trim ends of asparagus, take 5 spears and wrap a slice of bacon around to secure, repeat with remaining asparagus and bacon.
- Place in an oiled oven proof dish and cook for 10 minutes. They are cooked at the same temp as the steak so I just pop them in when the steaks have 10 more minutes to go.
- To Serve: I served mine over mash, topped with the steak, place asparagus on top and drizzle with sauce.