Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Courtesy of Foodgeeks.com
- 1⁄3 cup minced onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb crabmeat
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon thyme
- 4 lbs red snapper, dressed for stuffing
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup melted butter
- Saute onion in butter until golden.
- Remove from heat and mix in the crab meat, bread crumbs, parsley, heavy cream, and lemon thyme.
- Sprinkle cavity of fish lightly with salt and pepper. Stuff the fish and skewer edges securely.
- Mix wine and butter together. Place fish in a greased baking pan, pour wine-butter mixture over fish.
- Bake in 400°F oven, uncovered for 30 minutes or just until the flesh is opaque, basting frequently with wine sauce.
I had lost my family recipe for crab stuffed snapper and was glad to find this basic one. However, I always use fillets and roll the stuffing inside like a pinwheel. Also, I add chopped green onions, pimentos and lemon zest to the stuffing. Capers are added to the wine sauce with a tiny touch of Jalapeño pepper. Just before serving, sprinkle the tops with freshly grated parmesan cheese and lightly dust with a hint of powdered chili pepper (or paprika).