Recipe by Julesong
Yesterday at the produce stand I got a big package of beautiful large fresh mushrooms, perfect for stuffing! In looking around for a recipe to use them with, I came across this one from Paula Deen.
Top Review by JT'sMom
I came across this recipe while cruising for appetizers for my upcoming party. I have made these before and they are to die for! I better make a double batch because they go fast and have a funny way of disappearing before the guest's arrive. ;)
- 1⁄2 cup boursin cheese (herb flavored cheese, check out the recipe for Boursin-Homemade #60795)
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced crab (although Paula says "may use imitation" I much prefer real crab)
- 18 large mushrooms, size suitable for stuffing, brushed off well and stems removed
- 18 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F; pan spray a baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese and crab.
- Place crab mixture in each of the upside-down mushroom caps, using all of the mixture.
- On a dry surface (you can use a lightly floured board), lay down a sheet of phyllo, brush it with a light coating of melted butter, then lay another sheet on top and repeat until you’ve done 6 sheets (you can butter every other sheet, if you like).
- With a sharp knife, cut the prepared phyllo lengthwise down the center, then each half into 3 pieces – you’ll have made 6 rectangles.
- In the center of each cut piece of phyllo, place a mushroom cheese-side-up, then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Carefully lift the sides of the cut phyllo over the stuffed mushroom so that they resemble small bundles, then gently twist the top of each and pinch a little so that it seals.
- Steps four through seven prepare 6 of the 18 mushrooms – repeat those steps until you’ve used all 18 of the mushrooms (which will take two more times).
- Place the mushroom bundles on the pan sprayed baking sheet and brush with beaten egg.
- Bake in 400 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- Serve immediately.