Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe came from Southern Living Magazine years ago.....make copies of it to take with you wherever you serve it! They will ask for it
- 12 large mushrooms or 18 medium mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 (6 ounce) package frozen crabmeat, thawed and drained (or use fresh..I do)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs, divided equally
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- Gently rinse mushrooms, and pat dry.
- Remove stems.
- Brush caps with salad oil, and place upright in a buttered baking dish.
- Combine the egg, crab, mayonnaise, onion, and lemon juice with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs.
- Stuff the caps with the mixture. Combine the remaining 1/4 cup breadcrumbs with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle over crab mixture. Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.
- They should be a golden brown on the breadcrumb/butter topping.
- Serve immediately.
- Also, caution when they are served.
- There will be juice in the cap under the mixture which will be VERY hot.
This is a wonderful dish! I make it during the Holidays as an appetizer and it's always the first to go. Make sure your family &/or your guests know that they are VERY hot when first taken out of the oven!!!
Wonderful appetizer...I found that 20 minutes in my electric oven is better. The next time I made this I sprinkled Sargento Mexican shredded cheese on top rather than the bread crumbs and it was great. I will make this many times, especially for holidays. Joan
Very nice dish. I couldn't find the large mushrooms so I used a large package of the small ones and it worked just fine. I also put in a tiny bit of shredded mozzarella with the stuffing mix. Next time I might bake for just a couple of minutes longer.