Recipe by lazyme
I got this recipe many years ago from the Sunsest Hors d'Oeuvres coobook. Besides tasting good, I love this recipe because the mushrooms can be prepared 1 day ahead which really helps when getting ready for guests.
- 24 medium mushrooms
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup crabmeat, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup soft breadcrumbs, 1 slice run thru blender
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine
- lemon wedge (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove stems from mushrooms; finely chop stems.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add mushroom stems and onion and cook, stirring, until onions are limp.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, crab, bread crumbs, egg, dill weed, and 1/4 cup of the cheese until well blended.
- Melt remaining 3 tablespoons butter in 9x13 pan.
- Turn mushroom caps in butter to coat.
- Place mushrooms in pan, cavity side up.
- Evenly mound filling in each mushrooms cap, pressing it in firmly.
- (At this point, you may cover and refrigerate until next day).
- To bake, sprinkle mushrooms with remaining cheese and pour wine into pan.
- Bake, uncovered, in a 400ºF oven, 15-20 minutes or until hot throughout.
- Serve hot (with lemon wedges to squeeze over, if desired) on individual plates.
- Provide forks.