Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy and always a crowd pleaser. This dish when served at party or as part of a romantic dinner is always a hit.
- 12 -24 large baby portabella mushrooms or 12 -24 large button mushrooms
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1 lb shelled cooked crabmeat (not Canned) or 1 lb imitation crabmeat
- 1 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons Old Bay Seasoning
- When Making this dish I always use imitation crab meat, it is cheaper and in this dish not noticeable. (Update: I have since found out that not all imitation crab is equal. The imitation crab I get comes from the seafood counter and looks like shelled crab legs.).
- Wash and remove stems of mushrooms, leaving a little dish in the mushroom where the stem used to be.
- In a bowl mix equal parts crab to cream cheese. Season with Old Bay Seasoning.
- Stop eating the filling!
- Spoon generous amounts of filling into the mushroom caps.
- Stop eating the mushrooms!
- In a muffin tin, spoon a generous amount of butter into each cup.
- Heat tin in oven until butter is melted.
- Place stuffed mushroom caps into each muffing tin stuffing side up.
- Bake approx 15 - 20 minutes until mushroom caps appear cooked.
- Set oven to broil and just brown the tops a bit, careful not to melt the cream cheese into molten lava.
- Remove stuffed mushrooms and place on plates, careful not to bring to much butter with them.
- Be careful they are hot. Serve after a few minutes cooling time.
- What to do with the excess stuffing? Well it is excellent in an omelet! Also makes nice tea sandwiches.