Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
Found on Allrecipes; submitted by Sue Z."Delicious Filet Mignon stuffed with succulent crab, wrapped in bacon and topped with whiskey-peppercorn sauce. Time consuming, but just as good, if not better than any high-end restaurant recipe." Make it we did and it was awesome! We made a few slight changes; personal preference!. Make the sauce the day ahead, it is too time consuming and is best out of the way. However, it IS worth the effort! It was fantastic! ;)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 2 teaspoons minced green onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced celery
- 1 teaspoon minced green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons shrimp stock or 2 tablespoons water or 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 pinch Old Bay Seasoning (for the chicken stock or water)
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained or 6 ounces fresh crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs (We used Panko breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning (We didn't use)
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 fluid ounce whiskey
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 (6 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- 8 slices bacon, cooked almost done
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms or 1 cup white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 fluid ounce whiskey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- MAKE CRAB STUFFING:.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet.
- Saute onion, green onion, garlic, celery, and green pepper until tender.
- Stir in shrimp stock, water seasoned with Old Bay or chicken broth seasoned with Old Bay seasoning, crab meat, bread crumbs or Panko breadcrumbs, and Cajun seasoning, if using (optional).
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- PREPARE PEPPERCORN SAUCE:.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine beef broth and cracked black pepper.
- Simmer until reduced to 1 cup, stirring frequently. Add 1 ounce whiskey and 1 cup cream.
- Continue simmering until reduced to 1 cup.
- Remove from heat, and set aside. (Make this the day before).
- PREPARE STEAKS:.
- Slice a pocket into the side of each steak, and stuff generously with crab stuffing.
- Wrap almost crispy bacon around side, and secure with soaked(to prevent from burning) toothpicks.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic and shallot for 1 minute. Stir in mushrooms, and saute until tender.
- Remove mushroom mixture, and set aside.
- Place steaks in skillet, and cook to desired doneness.
- Remove from skillet, and keep warm.
- Deglaze skillet with 1 ounce whiskey.
- Reduce heat, and stir in peppercorn sauce(that has been brought to room temperature) and Dijon mustard.
- Add mushroom mixture, and reduce sauce until thickened.
- Remove toothpicks and bacon from steaks, and arrange steaks on a plate.
- Top with sauce and serve with parslied egg noodles or some rice dish and vegetables.
- Serve with wine, of course.
Tried this the other evening, it was excellent. The sauce took about 45 minutes to make, but WELL worth it. This is a kepper!