Prep 30 mins
Cook 55 mins
Boneless chicken breasts are pounded thin and then packed with sweet crab meat stuffing, baked with a creamy curry sauce and finished with a melted cheese topping. I love this rich, elegant dish because I can make it ahead of time and then just easily slip it into the oven 50 minutes before serving.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded flat and fairly thin
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely sliced celery
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 cup crabmeat, flaked
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1 medium tomatoes, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup minced parsley
- Melt the 3 tablespoons butter in a small pan over medium-low heat and cook the onion, celery, and grated carrot until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the parsley, wine, crab, cayenne and bread crumbs, mixing to combine well.
- Sprinkle the flattened chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
- Place pounded chicken"shiny" side down on a cutting board.
- (When rolling the breast over a filling, the chicken holds together better when the skinned side is on the outside.) Divide the crab filling between the 6 chicken breasts, placing the filling at one side.
- Roll up the breasts, tucking in the ends like an fat egg roll.
- Don't worry if the ends are open a little bit, the filling won't leak out during baking.
- Carefully,place the chicken breasts in a baking pan large enough to hold them in one layer, about 11" x 7" x 2'.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, then stir in the 3 tablespoons flour and the curry powder and salt.
- Cook stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add the milk and wine and simmer until mixture thickens, stirring constantly.
- The sauce should be of a fairly thick consistency, not thin and runny.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.
- Divide 1 1/4 cups bread crumbs over the breasts and dot with the 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Bake uncovered, at 375 degrees, for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake for another 4 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Remove the chicken to a serving platter and garnish each breast with the chopped tomato and minced parsley.
Definitely a winner ~ should take top prize for best of the best!
If you are looking for a real nice tasting light curry sauce, this is the recipe to try. I used some cut up button mushrooms which I had tossed on top of the dish prior to baking... and they added to the dish. I would doubled the amount of mild curry powder for a slightly richer taste next time. I also added some chopped up cilentro with the tomatoes when served... along with plain white rice. This is a wonderful presentation dish with the yellow curry sauce and red chopped up tomatoes. Try it!
I love this recipe, and everyone else eating did too! The instructions were clear and the result was mmmm mmmm good! This was so good. I hope it wins the contest!