Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
A want-to-try recipe from Best of Country Cooking.
Make and share this Crab-Stuffed Chicken Breasts recipe from Food.com.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1⁄3 cup saltine, crushed (about 10 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 (1/4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast half (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- hot cooked rice (optional)
- In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually stir in broth and milk.
- Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute onion in remaining butter until tender.
- Add the crab, mushrooms, cracker crumbs, parsley, salt, pepper and 2.
- tablespoons of the white sauce; heat through.
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the crab mixture on each chicken breast.
- Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
- Place in a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- Top with remaining white sauce.
- Cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Sprinkle with cheese and paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Remove toothpicks.
- Serve with rice if desired.
- Yield: 4 servings.
This was fantastic! Dh brought home fresh crab legs yesterday and we had left overs so I decided to try this recipe and so glad I did. I made Elaine's Rice Pilaf to have along with this. What a great meal! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This is a great recipe - I used fresh crab meat and the tastes meld very well and the sauce is a nice touch - this is most certianly on the to make again list!