Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
You can make the dressing for the crab salad in advance and pick the crab from the shells a day ahead, but don’t combine the two or cut and fill the avocados until moments before you’re ready to serve. The bright crab flavor will become muddled if seasoned in advance and cut avocados have a tendency to oxidize and darken. —From My Family Table by John Besh/Andrews McMeel Publishing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 4 avocados, halved and pitted
- baby greens (to garnish)
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish, chives, mustard, vinegar, cayenne, salt, and pepper.
- Just before serving, gently fold the crabmeat into the mayonnaise mixture, being careful to not break up the lumps.
- Drop heaping spoonfuls of the crab into the avocados and scatter greens on top.