1/1 Photo of Crab, Shrimp, & Potato Chowder
This is a thick, creamy, and very flavorful chowder, and would be amazing in a bread bowl. I've made a lot of modifications to the original recipe as far as the ingredients go, and I've marked those with an asterisk, and I clarify it in the directions. I suggest reading through the recipe before shopping for your ingredients, just in case. Prep and cooking times are estimated.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup shallot, chopped*
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 1/2 cups red potatoes or 1 lb red potatoes, cubed
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream or 1 (16 ounce) carton heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped*
- 1/2-1 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 (15 ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth (*)
- 8 ounces cooked lump crabmeat, shells removed*
- 8 ounces precooked medium shrimp, shelled and deveined*
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste*
- 1* Instead of buying multiple small shallots, you can use one plum-sized shallot. It comes to a little more than 1/4 cup, but it still tastes great.
- 2* If using dried herbs, it's suggested that you use less than the called-for amount, but I used about 3 teaspoons dried thyme and parsley in my modified version.
- 3* I increased the amount of black pepper to about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons I like pepper, and 1/2 teaspoons just didn't seem like nearly enough.
- 4* If not using canned broth, 2 cups of broth works well.
- 5* I used two 6 oz. cans of crab meat each time I've made this chowder.
- 6* I used I lb. of extra-large shrimp, cut into small pieces.
- 7* This recipe did not call for any salt, but the first time I made it I found it to be somewhat sweet. Since it's such a large amount of chowder, I added about 3/4 tsp of salt, but feel free to add more or less depending on your tastes.
- 81) In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter.
- 92) Add onion, shallots, celery, red pepper, and garlic. Saute for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 103) Add potatoes and saute for an additional 1 minute.
- 114) Sprinkle flour over the mixture one tablespoon at a time, stirring well. Cook the mixture for one minute more.
- 125) Add one more tablespoon of butter if the mixture if desired.
- 136) Stir in cream, thyme, pepper, nutmeg, corn, and broth. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- 147) Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 158) Stir in crab, shrimp, and parsley and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the chowder has reached the desired thickness. Continue to stir occasionally until done.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Crab, Shrimp, & Potato Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.0
- Calories from Fat 286
- Total Fat 31.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 167.0 mg
- Sodium 659.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 15.8 g