Recipe by CarrolJ
This is a recipe that my sister, Garnet has made for years. It is really good and tasty and can be easily changed from a spoonable dip to a molded salad. Cooking time is chilling time. I decided to add a note here to encourage others to try this wonderful recipe. I recently hosted a wedding shower for my future DIL. I added 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin dissolved in about 1/4 cup of water so that the consistency would be good on Crescent Rolls for sandwiches. It was the hit of the party. Everyone loved it.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Foods preferred)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon msg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped (scallion style)
- 3 (4 ounce) cans crab (or both) or 3 (4 ounce) cans shrimp, drained but saving the liquid in a separate container (or both)
IF MAKING A MOLD
- 4 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin, with (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cold water, until softened, then microwave until a few seconds to dissolve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well.
- IF MOLDING mix the gelatin as instructed above and add to the bowl after microwaving.
- Add 1/2 cup of the crab/shrimp liquid to the bowl and mix.
- Mix in the celery and onions.
- Add the crab/shrimp.
- Refrigerate until well chilled or molded if necessary.
- NOTE*** You can also make this recipe with imitation crab or shrimp but the flavor will not be as strong since you will not be able to add the canning liquid.