Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a recipe that my sister, Garnet has made for years. It is really good and tasty and can be easily changed from a spoonable dip to a molded salad. Cooking time is chilling time. I decided to add a note here to encourage others to try this wonderful recipe. I recently hosted a wedding shower for my future DIL. I added 2 envelopes of Knox gelatin dissolved in about 1/4 cup of water so that the consistency would be good on Crescent Rolls for sandwiches. It was the hit of the party. Everyone loved it.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces mayonnaise (Hellman's or Best Foods preferred)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon msg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 green onions, chopped (scallion style)
- 3 (4 ounce) cans crab (or both) or 3 (4 ounce) cans shrimp, drained but saving the liquid in a separate container (or both)
IF MAKING A MOLD
- 4 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin, with (optional)
- 4 tablespoons cold water, until softened, then microwave until a few seconds to dissolve (optional)
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a mixing bowl and blend well.
- IF MOLDING mix the gelatin as instructed above and add to the bowl after microwaving.
- Add 1/2 cup of the crab/shrimp liquid to the bowl and mix.
- Mix in the celery and onions.
- Add the crab/shrimp.
- Refrigerate until well chilled or molded if necessary.
- NOTE*** You can also make this recipe with imitation crab or shrimp but the flavor will not be as strong since you will not be able to add the canning liquid.
This is great, my aunt makes it often.