Recipe by Redneck Epicurean
A good friend of mine once said that there was nothing like food in Georgia. Boy was he right! This dish was served to me at a very informal "formal" dinner party. The informality was that we all just sat around and ate and talked. The formality was this dish and believe me, it is something I would never hesitate to serve to anyone. I was very glad he wasn't stingy with the recipe because I think I could eat this at least once a week!
- 1⁄2 lb butter
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 small white onion
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons pimiento
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sherry wine
- 1 lb large lump crabmeat (I use canned.)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute pepper and onion in butter; add mushrooms and flour.
- Heat half-and-half separately and add gradually to keep consistency smooth.
- Stir in pimiento, salt and white pepper to taste.
- Pick through the crab and remove any shells or foreign objects.
- Add the crab meat and sherry to sauce and heat through.
- Scoop into individual ramekins or custard cups.
- Top with grated cheese and put under oven broiler for a few minutes to brown.