Recipe by IngridH
This is not actually a sauce, but an African stew originating in the country of Benin. It is thought that stews like this were the forerunners of the the Gumbo that is served today. Serve this stew over white rice for a complete meal.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs fresh lump crabmeat
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, peeled seeded and coarsely chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- salt (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 lb okra, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients except the okra in a large stockpot. Cover and simmer over medium low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the okra, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes, until the okra is fork tender.
- Taste, and add more salt or cayenne if necessary to suit your taste.