Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peeled grated fresh ginger
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb asparagus, tough bottoms snapped off
- 3⁄4 lb fresh cooked crabmeat, picked over for bits of shell and cartilage
- 2 heads bibb lettuce, leaves separated, washed, and dried
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted, and peeled
- 1 red grapefruit, peeled and cut into segments
- Make the vinaigrette: whisk together the lime juice, vinegar, lime zest, ginger, and honey in a bowl; whisk in the oils.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook asparagus until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- As soon as the asparagus are tender, scoop them out of the boiling water and immediately plunge them into a bowl of ice water.
- When the asparagus are cold, drain and toss them with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; set aside.
- Toss the crabmeat with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette; set aside.
- In a big bowl, toss the Bibb lettuce leaves with 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette.
- Plate the salad: divide the dressed Bibb lettuce leaves among 4 large chilled plates.
- Place an avocado half on top of the lettuce on each plate and drizzle the avocado with a little vinaigrette.
- Arrange a bundle of dressed asparagus next to the avocado half; divide the dressed crabmeat among the plates, draping it over the avocado and asparagus.
- Garnish with the grapefruit sections and serve.
- Serving suggestions: because the texture of this salad is soft, serve with crisp crackers or toasted bruschetta; also good beverage choice would be a Mimosa—orange juice and champagne.