Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe was an Appetizer Finalist in our local newspaper's "Holiday Recipe Contest".
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- 3⁄4 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 4 ounces imitation crabmeat
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 32 wonton wrappers
- vegetable oil
- In small bowl, combine cream cheese and garlic. Add swiss cheese; stir until well blended. Spread cream cheese mixture over bottom of 1 quart baking dish. Spoon sweet and sour sauce over cream cheese mixture.
- Coarsely chop crab meat; sprinkle over sauce. Microwave uncovered 4-6 minutes on High or until outside edges are bubbly and dip is heated through. Remove and sprinkle with thinly sliced green onions. Serve warm with crispy wonton chips.
- Crispy Wonton Chips:.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut wonton wrappers in half diagonally. Arrange half of wontons in single layer on large pizza pan or stone. Spray with oil using kitchen spritzer. Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown and crisp. Remove chips from pan. Cool completely.
This was easy to make, but the flavor wasn't what we were expecting... I think the garlic was a little overpowering. I'm not sure if it was my oven, but the wonton chips came out at 8 minutes completely black and charred, although I did check on them at the 5 minute mark and all was fine. When I redid them the second time, I pulled them out at 4 minutes and they were crispy and just fine then. I'm very excited about this idea, however, and did want to thank you for posting this and inspiring me to experiment with the concept!
This recipe is almost exactly the same as one I just made out of a Pampered Chef cookbook. The only difference is that the PC version uses 8 ounces imitation crabmeat. I used low-fat cream cheese to try to reduce the calories and it was still creamy. Wonton chips stay nice a crisp to hold the dip.