Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I like this served room temperature but the choice is yours...=) A variation of a recipe from Yankee Magazine.
- 3 tablespoons diced sweet onions
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces crabmeat (I like to use fresh but canned will work, too ()
- 1 (9 inch) pie shells, partially baked for 10 minutes at 375 f
- 2 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Saute onion in butter until soft.
- Add crabmeat, stir until heated through.
- Sprinkle the bottom of the pie shell with Parmesan Reggian cheese.
- Place crab and onion mixture in pie shell.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and then top with grated Swiss cheese on top of the crabmeat mixture.
- Mix eggs, cream, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Slowly pour mixture over ingredients in pie shell.
- Bake on the top rack of the oven at 375 degrees until done, about 25 minutes.
- Cool before slicing.
- Serve at room temperature.
I made this today and it was fantastic. The blend of cheeses was perfect. I used three eggs instead of four as well as half and half instead of cream. I also put a bit of a Maryland twist to it and added Old Bay to the crab mixture. I will absolutely make this again! 5/22/10: Made this again, this time I added spinach, yum!!!
I have made this quiche twice already and plan to make it again. I did make some modifications to make it more heart-healthy. I only had imitation crabmeat so I used that, sautéed the onion in cooking spray, used reduced fat shredded cheddar and a mixture of fat free half-and-half with egg whites. I also added some minced garlic. This was great as a simple dinner with a side salad. This recipe is going into my regular rotation. Thanks for posting!
I love crab quiche and this one's the best!