Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
This recipe comes from EatingWell Magazine. These quesadillas have a creamy filling. They not only make a great meal, but also could be served as appetizers. Serve with your favorite salsa and a cup of black bean soup to complete your meal.
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, freshly grated
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 8 ounces crabmeat, pasteurized, drained if necessary
- 32 inches whole wheat tortillas
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- Combine Cheddar, cream cheese, scallions, bell pepper, cilantro, jalapenos (if using), orange zest and juice in a medium bowl.
- Gently stir in crab.
- Lay tortillas out on a work surface. Spread one-fourth of the filling on half of each tortilla.
- Fold tortillas in half, pressing gently to flatten.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Place 2 quesadillas in the pan and cook, turning once, until golden on both sides, 3 to 4 minutes total.
- Transfer to a cutting board and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and quesadillas.
- Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges.
- Serves 4.
Hi Bev, both you and EatingWell had a great idea with this quesadilla! It is really wonderful! I used it with a simple salsa and a hot cup of broth. It made for a wonderful meal! Made the recipe just as posted except for the jalapenos, added some crushed pepper flakes instead. It is a very smooth dish! Thanks for posting, Diane :=)
Very elegant and tasty! I imagine lime zest and juice would go well as well, instead of orange.
I saw this on eating well aslo I think. This really is a great queadilla. I really like what the orange zest does to it, really just gives it a boost. I scaled it down to one (except for jalapeno, I used 3 tbs lol) for lunch today with great results. Also I put this together last night, wrapped it in plastic wrap, then put it into the toaster oven at work for lunch today. Even with my changes it turned out great.