Prep 25 mins
Cook 3 mins
Yummy little crab puffs, light and crusty! These make a great appetizer or cocktail fare. Originally from an October 1980 issue of Bon Apetit magazine in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section. The recipe was requested from The Seasonings Cafe in Clinton, New Jersey.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise
- 8 ounces flaked crabmeat
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- fresh ground pepper
- ground red pepper
- 16 slices bread, well toasted (crusts trimmed and halved diagonally)
- paprika (garnish)
- Beat egg whites in large bowl until foamy.
- Add cream of tartar and continue beating until very stiff.
- Combine mayonaisse,crabmeat,chives, and peppers in another bowl; fold into whites, blending well.
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange toast triangles on large baking sheet.
- Top each piece with 1 heaping tablespoon crab mixture; sprinkle with paprika.
- Broil 4 to 5 inches from heat source until puffed and golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.