Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
As you probably know, my family before-me loved polenta and they still do. So this recipe caught my attention, and then we bought the items and yesterday we made it! I loved it & the staff did too! :) Feel free to substitute ready-to-eat-polenta if you'd like. Slice it into rounds (as it looks like a round log) grill, and then top with crab salad. Actually - the whole recipe could all be store-bought-ready-to-eat! However, I doubt that it would taste as great IMHO! ;) CuisineAtHome, Issue #78, December 2009.Total cooking & prep time = 1 hr + chilling.
FOR THE POLENTA
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup polenta cornmeal
- 1⁄8 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce, divided (or any other hot sauce you choose)
- extra virgin olive oil
- extra-virgin olive oil flavored cooking spray
FOR THE CRAB SALAD
- 1⁄2 cup seeded and finely diced roma tomato
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 cup sliced scallion (we used green onions, they were nicer)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (not the bottled kind, please!)
- 7 ounces lump crabmeat (can use canned, we used from the deli)
- Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with non-stick spray; set aside.
- MAKE THE POLENTA:.
- Combine water and salt in a saucepan over high heat.
- Slowly whisk in cornmeal, reduce heat to low, and simmer whisking constantly, until polenta is thick and smooth, 10 minutes.(My grandmother taught me to do it with a wooden spoon!).
- Remove polenta from heat; add Parmesan, cream, butter, and 1/2 tsp (or more) Tabasco, whisking until butter melts. (Toppings stay on the polenta better if it's smoothed a bit before chilling - use an offset spatula or a spoon.).
- Spread polenta in the prepared pan, cover with plastic wrap and chill 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat a grill pan over high heat or preheat broiler to low.
- Turn chilled polenta out of pan; cut into 16 squares and brush with olive oil.
- Place polenta squares in grill pan and grill for 8-10 minutes or place polenta squares on broiler pan and broil until lightly browned.(When char marks are visible on the polenta edges, use a sturdy spatual to release it from the grill pan.).
- Cut squares into triangles.
- MAKE THE CRAB SALAD:.
- Combine tomatoes, scallions, maynnaise, sour cream, lime juice and the remaining Tabasco for the salad in a bowl until blended.
- Gently stir in crabmeat with a fork to coat with dressing.
- To serve, top each polenta triangle with 1 teaspoon crab salad.