Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Russ and I are keen (and successful) crabbers. We caught our won blue swimmers for this yummy dish
- 1 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 2 large tomatoes, skins removed
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped fine
- 4 blue crabs, cleaned and chopped into quarters with the shells on
- Grind chilies, garlic, garam masala, cumin seeds, ginger, tomatoes and vinegar to a paste using a pestle and mortar or small food processor with the. Season with salt.
- Heat the oil in a large wok. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the pieces of crab and stir them into the onions. Continue frying until they start to change colour slightly.
- Stir the spice paste into the pan, to coat the pieces of crab. Add 3 tablespoons of water, bring to the boil and cover with a lid. Steam for 5-7 minutes until the crab shells turn red and the flesh is tender.
- Serve straight from the pan. Ditch the cutlery for this dish - roll up your sleeves and dig inches.